How To Protect Yourself From “Holiday Burnout”
As we enter the so-called “most wonderful time of the year,” we wanted to address the fact that this may not be your favorite time of year, and that’s ok! After all, attending endless gatherings, dodging awkward questions, and dealing with the holiday frenzy can be a lot to handle.
This season requires a bit extra effort on our end, and that’s why we should make a plan to stay as nourished and protected as possible.
Because of the long list of events, commitments, and things to do before the year ends, it’s easy to ‘fall off the wagon’ and feel like you don’t have enough time/energy to take care of yourself. But let’s explore your options, shall we?
Here are our top 3 tips to protect your energy during the holidays:
- Simplify your morning routine. We know it’s easy to skip your already established rituals during this event-filled month. However, committing to a simplified version of your self-care routine will make all the difference in the world. Block 15-30 minutes a day, and choose one (or two) of your favorite practices. Read a book for 15 minutes. Take a long shower. Recite your favorite affirmations. Listen to a guided meditation. Journaling for 10 minutes. Look outside your window to practice mindfulness. Do yoga. Write a gratitude list. Stretch. Have yourself a cup of lemon water. Play your favorite music. Move your body. Practice breathwork. Rub your feet with lavender oil. Whatever you choose, make sure you stick to it. Doing this first thing in the morning will nourish your energy, give you a sense of security, and set the mood for the rest of your day. Sure, you may not control everything that’s coming your way during this time, but no matter where you’re at or who you’re with, you’re always in control of your wellbeing
- Take as many breaks as possible. Going out for a walk, spending time in nature, and resting for a few minutes are all things that can help reboot your nervous system. Taking small breaks in-between stressful situations will allow your mind, body, and soul to come back to their natural state of balance. Don’t be afraid to excuse yourself. Listen to your intuition, and leave for a few minutes whenever it is needed. Taking care of yourself and your energy should always come first! We also recommend grounding daily. If you’ve never done it, now is a great time to get started. Take off your shoes and plant the soles of your feet on the grass. Inhale deeply, and allow the ground to work its magic. It will absorb all the low vibration energies, reduce any inflammation and allow ions to recharge your energetic field. You can even picture stress, tension, and pain leaving your body as you stand or walk barefoot for a couple of minutes. We can assure you this simple act will help you maintain healthy energy levels during these overstimulating times.
- Bring out your crystals. Gathering all day with family can be draining on its own. Not to mention having to deal with negativity, jealousy, and other heavy emotions that unfortunately arise during these festivities. Luckily, crystals can be used as shields to block them and cleansing tools to enhance your space, clear your body and recharge your aura. Tucking crystals in your pockets, placing them around a certain space, and putting them on top of your chakras can be extremely beneficial. There are tons of crystals that can help you transmute and protect your energy, but these are the ones we recommend for this season:
- Black Obsidian. This volcanic rock will get rid of low vibration energies. Black obsidian will also allow you to stay grounded, despite the turmoil of the holiday season. It can help you release old attachments, increase your self-control, and will cast a protective shield to repel negativity/unloving thoughts. Because of its fiery energy, it can be used as direct protection against violence, abuse, or anger energies. You can carry around a palm stone, put it on top of your solar plexus, or wear a black obsidian bracelet to repel the negative vibes.
- Malachite. This mesmerizing green stone needs to be handled with care (only use the polished form). Extremely powerful, Malachite enhances your insights and intuition, encouraging you to express assertively during family time. It will also help you amplify the positive energies around and within you. This crystal will pick up negative vibrations, and guard you against electromagnetic pollution/radiation. Place it on top of your heart to ground yourself and allow deep emotional healing to happen. Malachite will protect you, bring harmony and alleviate your frustrations during the holiday season. Place a malachite pyramid on your bedroom while setting a clear intention, or tuck a tumbled stone inside your pockets to turn pain into power.
- Black Tourmaline. This crystal will pull the toxic energies out of any space. Black Tourmaline cleanses and purifies dense energy, which means it will transform negative energy into light and positive energy. Because of its transformational powers, it needs to be cleaned and recharged constantly. Make sure you let it absorb sunlight or moonlight, alternating it every other week. This magical crystal will create a protective shield around your aura, remove blockages and keep you safe from psychic attacks. Place it on top of your root chakra to ground and clear negative thoughts. This stone is especially useful if you’re an empath. Meditate holding a Black Tourmaline Tower, or walk around wearing it around your wrist.
Protecting your energy doesn’t have to be difficult or time-consuming. But it’s important to try different methods until you find the right one for you. No one wants to end up tired, overwhelmed, or burnt after the holidays. So make sure to use these quick tips to enjoy the holidays, or at least survive until next year!
Which one will you be using to protect your energy? Let us know in the comments!