What Are Energy Vampires? 8 Ways to Protect Yourself from Them!
It’s been said that we are what we eat. Well, the same can be said of how we spend our time and energy. From people to activities, everything has an impact on you and your life. Let’s take friends for example. Some friends will make you feel uplifted and happy. On the other hand, have you felt exhausted and depleted after spending time with others? Those, are the vampires, only these people drink your positive energy. They are also known as Emotional Vampires or Energy Vampires. They have an insatiable thirst for your attention and emotions, without giving anything back in return. An Energy Vampire will seek out relationships with others so they can feed off their happiness like a parasite and leave their targets exhausted and drained of all positivity in the process. So if you suspect you might have one (or many) in your life, read on to find out how to protect yourself from them!
How do they Drain your Energy?
Since Energy Vampires are people who suck your energy, they will do whatever it takes to draw your attention, time, and emotions to them. Oh, and they don't plan on giving anything back in return in case you were still hoping one day they'll return the favor. An Energy Vampire can also be a narcissist, an abuser, or someone who's simply having a bad day. The defining feature of an Energy Vampire is that they feed off your positive energy by needing you to constantly pay attention to them. If you don’t, they will make you feel guilty.
How to Recognize an Energy Vampire?
Energy Vampires can be hard to recognize because they usually come off as charming, fascinating people. The only problem is that they will never be interested in you as much as they are in themselves. If you notice that someone is always talking about themselves, how amazing they are, or how much they need you to listen to their needs all the time, then chances are they are an Energy Vampire. Here are some other signs that could identify if someone is an Energy Vampire:
- They don’t ask about your feelings and always expect you to be there for them no matter what
- They are very selfish, they only care about themselves. That’s why they won’t ever ask about your day, life, or problems. They care only about themselves, their needs, and what they can gain out of you.
- They give back as little as possible
- The only time an Energy Vampire will ever be present for you is when they get something out of it. They will never give back to you unless it affects something they want for themselves.
- They drain you of your energy, willingly or unwillingly
- You always feel tired and drained after seeing them
- They make you feel guilty or blame you which makes you question if it actually is your fault
- They're always looking for a way to be the center of attention
- They want to be with you all the time. They need as much positive energy as they can get. That’s why they will always want to be around you, even if you don’t want to be around them
- They never seem satisfied
- They feel entitled to your time and attention
If you have an Energy Vampire lurking around, keep reading to learn 5 ways to protect yourself.
5 Ways to Protect Yourself From Energy Vampires
1. The most effective way to protect yourself would be to cut ties with them. Now, we know sometimes that is a difficult thing to do but avoid having one-sided relationships as much as possible. Remember you are precious, your time and energy are precious, so stop handing it out as if it wasn't. It's time to start being more selective about who truly deserves you and your presence! If someone is making you feel bad, don’t be afraid to walk away. You have the right to leave a relationship or situation whenever you want.
2. Set firm boundaries. Be honest with people about how you feel and what are your limitations. You can call the shots and define the terms of your friendship/partnership/relationship. If someone is sucking all your positive energy and not giving back, have a chat with them and tell them how you feel. It’s important to be honest with people, even if they don't like it or get offended. It’s better to be honest than to be around people who constantly make you feel drained or even worse, guilty. There are no rules that say you have to be around someone just because they are _____ (fill in the blank), people should earn your time and affection, just as you earned theirs.
3. Spend time with people who make you feel good. Seek out those wonderful friends and people around you that energize you. Spend time with those who are supportive and empathetic, and genuinely want to see you succeed. The more time you spend in situations where a balanced and healthy energy exchange happens, the less you will feel depleted or exploited.
4. Crystal Protection: Selenite, Amethyst, and Tourmaline.
- Selenite: The greatest crystal for cleansing auras and clearing energies. Selenite will protect you against negativity and absorb the negative energies around you. Run a Selenite through your body and visualize it cleansing all the negative energy. You can start from your head, all the way to your toes. Consider Selenite as a magical energetic soap.
- Amethyst: This magical crystal is famous for being the ultimate protector. Amethyst casts positive energy, making it the ultimate enemy to those who don't mean well. This crystal will enhance your intuition and absorb the negativity thrown your way. Place Amethysts around your home (especially close to your bed) to stimulate feelings of peace and relaxation.
- Tourmaline is a powerful, black gemstone that repels negative energy and protects your aura from getting manipulated. Tourmaline's energy is cleansing and grounding and it promotes a sense of safety. Wear a Tourmaline whenever you're around Energy Vampires, it will create an energetic barrier between you and them. Plus, it will shield your aura, helping you not absorb any unwanted energy.
5. Practice Self-Care. No, we don't mean a spa ritual or a nutritious meal (although that's always nice). We mean real Self-Care. When we are pushed energetically, mentally, and emotionally, our mind, body, and soul get depleted, that's why you need to nourish yourself. Go to therapy, journal, meditate, process your feelings, sleep, reconnect with nature, and unplug from social media. Anything that truly makes you feel better! Just as you take care of your plants, a cat, or a car, make it a habit to tend to your needs.
An Energy Vampire can be a loved one, an acquaintance, or even a stranger. Start paying more attention, if someone is constantly taking and never giving, they probably are one! Now that you know how to protect yourself it's time to reclaim your energy.